Due to the recent changes for Pennsylvania’s Medical Marijuana Program (due to COVID-19), the program currently allows for Telemedicine, and now the process only requires one appointment with a doctor in order to qualify for a medical marijuana recommendation.
To become a Pennsylvania medical marijuana patient, you can first talk with one of our doctors to see if you qualify and we will help you through filling out the online state-mandated paperwork once you are approved.
To become a Pennsylvania medical marijuana patient, you must first be diagnosed with a severe, debilitating, or life-threatening medical condition, and be a Pennsylvania resident. The qualifying conditions include:
- Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS);
- Anxiety disorders;
- Cancer, including remission therapy;
- Crohn’s disease;
- Damage to the nervous tissue of the central nervous system (brain-spinal cord) with objective neurological indication of intractable spasticity, and other associated neuropathies;
- Dyskinetic and spastic movement disorders;
- HIV / AIDS;
- Huntington’s disease;
- Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD);
- Intractable seizures;
- Multiple sclerosis (MS);
- Neurodegenerative diseases;
- Opioid use disorder for which conventional therapeutic interventions are contraindicated or ineffective, or for which adjunctive therapy is indicated in combination with primary therapeutic interventions;
- Parkinson’s disease;
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD);
- Severe chronic or intractable pain of neuropathic origin or severe chronic or intractable pain;
- Sickle cell anemia;
- Terminal illness; and
- Tourette syndrome.
Proof of Residency:
You’ll need to provide one of the following items to show proof of residency:
- ID number from your Pennsylvania State Driver’s License or Pennsylvania State Non-Driver ID Card.
- Copy of a government-issued identification card that contains your name and Pennsylvania State address.
- Copy of a utility bill or other document showing your residency issued within the previous two months. The document must contain your name and address.
- Copy of a current lease or similar document showing your residency within Pennsylvania.
- Other documentation as approved by DOH containing sufficient information to show proof of residency in Pennsylvania.
The Appointment Process
During your appointment, you will be asked to describe your medical condition, and history of any medication taken (if any) for the doctor to understand your health, condition, and if medical marijuana is an appropriate alternative to consider. During the appointment, the doctor will explain the specifics of using medical marijuana as a treatment option. After this appointment, you will receive a formal medical marijuana recommendation (assuming you qualify).
Once approved, the doctor will generate a unique medical marijuana recommendation that will be accessible in the Pennsylvania State Patient Portal. We will let you know once your Pennsylvania specific certificate is ready – so you can then complete your registration in the State Portal.
In the portal, you will need to finalize your registration by paying an application fee of $50 directly to the state of Pennsylvania. Patients that can provide evidence that they participate in the following government programs may qualify for a discounted medical marijuana ID card: Medicaid, PACE/ PACENET, CHIP, SNAP, and WIC.
Once you submit your application and confirm your registration, a physical card will be mailed to you by the state within 7-10 business days.