Did you know that you can see a licensed medical marijuana doctor completely online for the Louisiana Medical Marijuana Program? On August 1st, 2022, the Louisiana Department of Health authorized telemedicine evaluations for Louisiana residents to get their medical marijuana card.
To become a Louisiana medical marijuana patient, you can first talk with one of our doctors to see if you qualify. Once approved, the doctor will send over your recommendation to the pharmacy of your choosing. Our doctors are online medical marijuana doctors in Louisiana. We will help you with any questions you may have along the way!
Why Get a Louisiana Medical Marijuana Card?
Getting your medical marijuana card in Louisiana allows access to all Louisiana dispensaries and purchase cannabis products specific for your needs. With your card, you will have access to purchase marijuana products including:
- Metered dose inhalers (MDIs)
- Medical marijuana distillate (RSO)
- Medical cannabis flower
Additionally, buying licensed dispensary cannabis ensures that your product is accurately labeled and has been tested through the agricultural department. Having your medical marijuana card also gives you legal protection. It demonstrates to law enforcement that you are a registered patient in the state’s medical marijuana program.
The state of Louisiana allows physicians to use discretion in recommending medical marijuana. They may recommend it for for any debilitating medical condition within their range of expertise. We’ve listed some health conditions that may qualify you for the program:
- Alzheimer’s Disease
- Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS)
- Huntington’s Disease
- Lewy Body Dementia
- Motor Neuron Disease
- Parkinson’s Disease
- Spinal Muscular Atrophy
- HIV / AIDS
- Cachexia or Wasting Syndrome
- Seizure Disorders
- Severe Muscle Spasms
- Intractable Pain (Intractable pain means a pain state in which the cause of the pain cannot be removed or otherwise treated with the consent of the patient and which, in the generally accepted course of medical practice, no relief or cure of the cause of the pain is possible, or none has been found after reasonable efforts. It is the type of pain so chronic and severe as to otherwise warrant an opiate prescription)
- Crohn’s Disease
- Muscular Dystrophy
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Autism Spectrum Disorder* (behavior of such severity that the physical health of the person with autism is jeopardized; avoidance of others or inability to communicate of such severity that the physical health of the person with autism is jeopardized; self-injuring behavior; and physically aggressive or destructive behavior (La. R.S. 40:1046))
- Traumatic Brain Injury
- Concussion diagnosed by a physician
- Chronic Pain associated with fibromyalgia or Sickle Cell Disease
- Any Condition for which a patient is receiving hospice care or palliative care
- Any condition not otherwise specified in this Subparagraph that a physician, in his medical opinion, considers debilitating to an individual patient and is qualified through his medical education and training to treat
Cannabis Can Help
Nervous system disorders such as Parkinson’s has been proven to be helped with the use of medical marijuana. In Parkinson’s, it may help reduce muscle rigidity, improve mental alertness, and decrease depression. If you are a Louisiana resident and also have Parkinson’s, getting access to marijuana in Louisiana may be beneficial.
Cannabis has also been a great benefit in pain management and is a great alternative to opioids. However, be sure to not operate a motor vehicle while using cannabis.
You’ll need to provide one of the following forms of identification (unexpired). This is for proof of identity when you go to pick up your medication at the dispensary you have chosen:
- Louisiana Driver’s License
- Louisiana State ID Card
- Any Valid State ID
- Any US Government ID (Military Card, US Passport, etc.)
The state does not require patients to register with the state to receive a medical marijuana card. There is no physical medical cannabis card in Louisiana. Your physician will fax your patient certification to the dispensary. This is how dispensaries will verify that you are now eligible to buy medical marijuana in Louisiana.
Talk to our doctors to get your Louisiana medical marijuana card online
Schedule your secure video chat appointment and then talk to one of our certified doctors to get your medical marijuana recommendation letter. All Prestodoctor doctors are licensed Louisiana medical marijuana physicians. We generally have same-day appointments available. You can also schedule an appointment in the future.
Once approved by one of our doctors:
Once the doctor approves you for medical cannabis, we will send a signed healthcare practitioner certification after your appointment is completed. We will send it directly to your dispensary of choice for you. This signed form from our doctor will then serve as your official medical marijuana registration. It allows the ability to purchase cannabis products at your “Marijuana Pharmacy” (Dispensary) of choice.
When visiting your pharmacy of choice, the pharmacy will require both your:
- Completed Physician Written Certification (the dispensary should have this information from your physician)
- Physical ID or Photocopy of your Driver’s License / ID card
Your Name and Address on the application with the pharmacy must match what is listed on your Drivers / State ID card. We recommend calling the dispensary of choice before your first visit. This is to ensure the pharmacists on site have completed your registration process for their location.
If you need help getting your electronic certification to the pharmacy of your choice, we can help. We can directly contact the chosen pharmacy for you!
Book Now – Get your Louisiana Medical Card Today
Where Can I Get Medical Marijuana?
In Louisiana, medical marijuana dispensaries are called pharmacies. There is one pharmacy per region across the nine different regions of Louisiana. If you are not close to a pharmacy, you can also call the pharmacy located in your region. Some of these pharmacies offer delivery if you are within the region!
At pharmacies, they have access to the Prescription Monitoring Program database. This allows the pharmacies to verify if a patient is certified.
Medical marijuana prescriptions will need to be refilled every 90 days.
Prestodoctor Can Help
Finding a medical marijuana doctor online in Louisiana is the hard part, but we’ve made it simple. Our doctors are certified in Louisiana to help you get your medical marijuana card. If there’s anything we didn’t answer you can live chat us on our website. You can also email us at [email protected]
If you’re a Louisiana resident, getting access to Louisiana medical cannabis can be beneficial for your health conditions. We would be more than happy to help answer any questions, or help you get the process started.Get Your Card Now